If you’re having issues with one or both of your AirPods Pro earphones, they may be covered under Apple’s service program. Follow along for how to check your AirPods Pro free recall replacement eligibility.
At the end of October, Apple launched a recall (service) program for certain AirPods Pro earphones. Issues that may indicate your AirPods Pro are covered under the program include noise cancellation not working, loss of bass, crackling and static, or an increase in background sounds.
Apple notes that affected “units were manufactured before October 2020.” And also that the AirPods Pro Charging Case is not part of the program, just the earphones. Interesting enough, there’s not a serial number checker for this recall program, so here’s what to do…
How to check AirPods Pro free recall replacement eligibility
If you’re seeing one or more of the following issues with an AirPods Pro:
- Crackling or static sounds that increase in loud environments, with exercise, or while talking on the phone
- Active Noise Cancellation not working as expected, such as a loss of bass sound, or an increase in background sounds, such as street or airplane noise
You’ll need to:
- Call or get in touch with Apple Support (800.APL.CARE in the US)
- Set up an appointment at your local Apple Store (if open)
- Or connect with an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP)
Your AirPods Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that they are eligible for this program. AirPods Pro (left, right or both) with a confirmed issue will be replaced. The AirPods Pro case is not affected and will not be replaced.
The recall program is available to AirPods Pro users worldwide and doesn’t extend the warranty but is available for “2 years after the first retail sale of the unit.”
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
- Hands-on with the top 10 iOS 14 features for iPhone [Video]
- iPadOS 14 – 50+ Top Features and Changes! [Video]
- iOS 14: Here’s how to use the new iPhone home screen widgets
- Hands-on: Widgetsmith brings ultra-customizable widgets to your iOS 14 home screen
- iOS 14: How to do Picture in Picture video multitasking on iPhone
- iOS 14: How to watch 4K YouTube videos on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
- iOS 14: How the compact call interface works on iPhone
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.